Sleek #44 Winter 15, What Women Want, Cover 2
The US TV gameshow Jeopardy recently featured the topic “What Women Want”. However, instead of featuring things that women might actually want, like equal pay and an end to tiresome casual discrimination, their version included herbal tea, Levi’s jeans and Pilates classes.
In the Almanac exploring the issue’s theme, we explore how women in the art world are getting what they want, through an interview with art world power player Carolyn Christov-Bakargiev, profiles of five Berlin-based female artists (featuring the quote: “Some of my friends literally happen to be women.”), a discussion of how the typically “female” area of domesticity is being dealt with in contemporary art, a report on how online safe spaces are challenging larger norms in culture and a satirical visual essay by photographer Phebe Schmidt that focuses on the beauty industry.
- An interview with subversive art pair Elmgreen & Dragset!
- Walter Pfeiffer shoots his muse!
- Petra Cortright on selfies and Stella McCartney!
- Glenn O’Brien on what to wear to an art opening!
- Exclusive drawings from Julie Mehretu!
- Plus the exciting fashion and art content you’ve come to expect from Sleek.