Sleek #54 Summer 17
#54 Summer 17
Welcome to the Summer 2017 issue of SLEEK
This summer, SLEEK celebrates Comme des Garcons and Rei Kawakubo’s extraordinary solo exhibition at the Met Costume Institute with a special 16-page dossier dedicated to the brand. In order to fully understand Kawakubo’s enduring influence on fashion and art, we’ve spoken to members of the Comme family, including president Adrian Joffe, protégé Gosha Rubchinskiy and more. Our cover story continues this tribute to CDG with “This is Not a Retrospective”, a fashion editorial featuring archival and current season pieces photographed by Till Janz and styled by Toby Grimditch and Kamilla Richter. Elsewhere in the issue, the worlds of fashion and art collide once more with a behind the scenes photo diary of Anne Imhof’s Golden Lion winning performance of “Faust” at the 2017 Venice Biennale.
- For this issue’s “Ones To Watch”, we speak with LVMH prize nominee Palomo Spain, Chinese artist Lin Ke and Scottish video artist Rachel Maclean.
- Dries Van Noten highlights some of the artworks that have inspired his illustrious archive of design.
- We visit the studio of Raúl de Nieves, the multimedia artist behind one of the Whitney Biennial’s most photographed works.
- New York artist Ian Cheng discusses how the computer-generated inhabitants in his simulated works are merging the worlds of art and AI.
- “No Self” sees Marc Hibbert shooting our men’s editorial in London.
- In “The Last Word” Chicagoan artist Theaster Gates speaks with Jeni Fulton about his turn to painting and why his work has always been political.